Aloo Puri is a favourite breakfast at my hubby’s place for Sunday mornings. Right here aloo refers to potato curry and puri is Indian fried bread. Since each these dishes are served collectively, it named as aloo puri.
I’ve added right here each the recipes of our household’s favourite potato curry and the puri.
This aloo puri recipe is my mother-in-law’s treasured recipe. It’s certainly one of her greatest aloo sabzi recipe and all people within the household loves it.
So I make this dish both for breakfast or for lunch on weekends. I additionally make Poori bhaji in Maharashtrian type.
In most Punjabi properties the Sunday breakfast is both aloo poori or bread pakora or totally different styles of parathas like:
The primary and topmost ingredient which subtly flavors the entire dish is ajwain (carom seeds). It brings out the perfect on this potato curry. Carom seeds additionally helps in digestion.
This potato curry is served steaming scorching with Puri, all overvalued and straight out from the kadai together with some chopped onions and lemon wedges.
The mix of aloo puri with sooji halwa may be very widespread in North India. Normally, aloo puri is made for breakfast however you’ll be able to have it any time of the day. Principally it’s made on weekends as it’s a heavy meal and also you gained’t really feel like working after having it.
You can too verify this South Indian type Poori Masala which works nicely with pooris and dosa.
Easy methods to make Aloo Puri
Getting ready the aloo sabzi
1. Warmth oil in a strain cooker. Add 1 teaspoon ajwain (carom seeds) and fry them until they splutter.
2. Now add ⅓ cup chopped onions (about 1 medium-sized onion or 50 grams onion).
3. Sauté onions until they soften.
4. Then add 2 teaspoons finely chopped ginger or (1-inch ginger), 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic (2 to three small to medium garlic cloves) and 1 to 2 chopped inexperienced chillies. Sauté until the uncooked aroma of the ginger and garlic goes away.
5. Add 1 heaped cup chopped tomatoes (about 2 medium to giant tomatoes or 200 grams).
6. Stir and blend nicely.
7. Sauté until the tomatoes grow to be gentle and pulpy.
8. Add ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 pinch asafoetida (hing) and 1 teaspoon purple chilli powder or ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper.
9. Combine nicely.
10. Now add 2 heaped cups diced potatoes (about 5 medium-sized potatoes or 350 grams potatoes).
11. Stir and blend nicely.
12. Add 2 cups of water.
13. Subsequent add salt as required and blend nicely.
14. Strain cook dinner for 3 to 4 whistles or until the potatoes are completed.
15. Right here the potatoes are cooked nicely.
16. Open the lid and simmer the aloo sabzi by urgent just a few cooked potatoes with the spoon on the perimeters of the cooker.
17. That is to get a barely thicker consistency of the gravy. The starch from the potatoes makes the gravy a bit thick.
18. As soon as completed, sprinkle some ½ teaspoon garam masala powder.
19. Additionally, add 1 teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder). Combine nicely and garnish with some coriander leaves.
20. Serve aloo sabzi Scorching with Pooris.
Making puri or poori
1. Knead 2.5 to three cups entire wheat flour (atta) right into a stiff dough with water and oil.
2. Make small balls of the dough.
3. Apply oil to the dough ball. The thought of making use of oil and never dusting with flour is in order that whereas frying, the oil stays clear and also you gained’t see darkish burnt flour particles contained in the oil.
4. Roll the dough evenly into circles which might be neither too skinny nor thick.
5. Place the rolled poori in a plate and canopy with a clear kitchen towel, in order that they don’t dry up.
6. Warmth oil in a deep frying pan or kadai. When the oil is sufficiently scorching, then drop a small dough ball into the oil. If the dough ball rises steadily and briskly to the highest, then the oil is sufficiently scorching to fry the pooris. In any other case, wait until the oil turns into scorching earlier than frying the pooris. if the dough ball rises slowly or continues to be on the backside, then the oil is chilly and if it rises too quick, then the oil may be very scorching.
8. Add one puri at a time. It’ll puff up quickly.
9. As soon as the underside facet is golden, then flip over the puri and fry gently urgent down with the frying spoon or slotted spoon in a round movement. fry the puri until golden brown throughout. take away the poori into paper napkins to take away extra oil. Fry all pooris this fashion. If the oil turns into too scorching, then decrease the temperature by lowering the flame and vice versa.
10. Serve the recent pooris with the aloo sabzi, alongside with sliced onions and a few lemon wedges.
For those who made this recipe, please you should definitely price it within the recipe card under. Signal Up for my e mail e-newsletter or you’ll be able to observe me on Instagram, Fb, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for extra vegetarian inspirations.
This aloo puri is a conventional Punjabi spiced potato curry served with pooris.
Prep Time 25 minutes
Cook dinner Time 50 minutes
Complete Time 1 hr 15 minutes
for the poori: (makes 15-18 pooris)
Stop your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
making aloo sabzi
Warmth oil in a strain cooker. Add the carom seeds and fry them for a few seconds. Now add the chopped onions and saute them until soften.
Add the ginger, garlic and inexperienced chilies and saute until the uncooked aroma of the ginger and garlic goes away.
Add the chopped tomatoes and saute until the tomatoes grow to be gentle and pulpy.
Add the turmeric powder, asafoetida and purple chili powder. Combine nicely.
Now add the diced potatoes. Add salt and blend nicely.
Add water and strain cook dinner the curry for 3 to 4 whistles or until the potatoes are completed.
Open the lid and simmer the curry by urgent just a few cooked potatoes with the spoon on the perimeters of the cooker.
That is to get a barely thicker consistency of the gravy. The starch from the aloo make the gravy a bit thick.
As soon as completed, sprinkle some garam masala powder and mango powder. Combine nicely and garnish with some coriander leaves.
Serve aloo sabzi scorching with poori.
Knead the wheat flour right into a stiff dough with water and oil. Make small balls of the dough. Roll into rounds having 4 to five inches diameter.
Warmth oil for deep frying. Fry the pooris in oil until they get puffed and are golden brown.
Take away them into paper napkins to take away extra oil.
Serve the recent pooris with the aloo sabzi, alongside facet with sliced onions and a few lemon wedges.
- Consistency: You may have the consistency of the aloo sabzi as per your choice. Nonetheless keep away from making it watery or skinny.
- Much less or extra spicy: The spice powders, specifically chili powder, garam masala and mango powder may be adjusted per your liking.
- Carom seeds substitute: Within the absence of carom seeds, you’ll be able to add cumin seeds. The curry or sabzi won’t have the carom seeds taste, however nonetheless style good.
- Cooking in a pan: If you do not have a strain cooker than after including the potatoes and water, cowl the pan and let the potatoes get cooked. Keep in mind to verify in between. You may at all times add extra water later if you happen to really feel the gravy has grow to be too thick.
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 592 Energy from Fats 189
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 2g13%
Vitamin A 661IU13%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 6mg30%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 39mg47%
Vitamin E 9mg60%
Vitamin Okay 8µg8%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 84µg21%
* % Every day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight loss plan.