A rooster pathia or patia is a spicy, candy & bitter curry that has origins in Persia however it’s now a favorite in British Indian eating places.
A dish undoubtedly on the spicier facet of curries it contains a great stability of flavours too.
It’s uncommon for meals bloggers to declare favourites, however that is fingers down my favorite recipe on my web site, I really like this dish!
A Candy and Bitter Indian Curry.
Once I lived within the UK there was a section when a pathia or patia curry was the one factor I ordered from an Indian menu.
Not as a result of I didn’t like or perceive the opposite stuff. However purely and just because it was my favorite factor on any menu!
Because of this, it was solely going to be so lengthy earlier than it ended up becoming a member of my lengthy listing of Indian Curry Recipes right here on Krumpli!
As with all phases, they cross however a pathia curry stays one among my favorite dishes. Fabulously spicy and with a definite candy and bitter vibe.
In the event you would like to keep away from the candy factor then you will need to try my Acahri Rooster recipe!
The standard habitat for a pathia curry appears to be a British curry home. Though it’s far much less well-known than the likes of Rooster Tikka Masala or a Vindaloo.
This fiery candy and bitter quantity with Gujarati leanings must be proven much more love.
The Candy & Bitter Components.
A standard Pathia or Patia curry hails from Persia the place the bitter ingredient of this curry would have been tamarind.
My model sticks with tamarind because the bitter ingredient as a result of I like it! It’s each bitter and earthy, much more complicated than lemon or lime juice. However I do add just a little lime juice for good measure too!
I take advantage of tamarind quite a bit in cooking however my favorite instance that basically sings of tamarind is the sauce for these gradual roast duck legs.
I normally cook dinner from a block of tamarind pulp, it’s a messy enterprise however a easy job.
You may also purchase tamarind focus, it’s anyplace between 4 and 10 occasions concentrated. So check out the jar if that’s what you might be utilizing.
That is the bit the place I’m gonna get all controversial!
I attempted all types of candy parts, every thing from sugar of all colors to honey, and during to the normal jaggery to get to my remaining pathia sauce recipe.
However nothing got here near being fairly so good as mango chutney.
Yup, you learn that proper!
The mix of the candy fruity flavour, the trace of acidity and complexity of spice labored completely.
I’d usually stir come of the chutney from the desk by means of my curry when consuming in a curry home. So it really isn’t that nice a leap for me!
Naturally, the recipe will change flavour relying in your mango chutney however that’s all a part of the magic.
I do have a tendency to stay to delicate mango chutney, however you should utilize spicy. Simply make sure to bear that in thoughts when including chilli to the ultimate dish.
I nearly at all times sprinkle this with further chopped chilli peppers.
I like that uncooked chilli warmth alongside the thick candy and bitter sauce. It additionally means you’ll be able to enhance or lower the warmth for these much less in love with chilli warmth!
The plain suggestion for this unbelievable candy and bitter curry is naan bread and rice.
Nonetheless, the thick nearly sticky sauce lends itself to be thinner flatbread like chapati or roti.
Nevertheless it additionally makes probably the most unbelievable filling for a wrap!
Add some crisp lettuce and cucumber and you’ve got the right lunch if you happen to ask me. I’ll usually make just a little further and set it apart only for this objective.
Cook dinner Time:
The standard habitat for a rooster pathia appears to be a British curry home, I feel this fiery candy and bitter quantity with Gujarati leanings must be proven much more love.
- 350 g Rooster Thighs
- 1 Massive Onion (round 250g or 8-9oz)
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Tbsp Ghee
- 1/2 Tsp Asafoetida
- 1 Tsp Chili Flakes
- 2 Tsp Turmeric
- 1 Tsp Floor Cumin
- 65g (1.5″ dice) Tamarind Pulp
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 Tbsp Mango Chutney
- 6 Cardamom Pods
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Lime
- 1 Tbsp Dried Fenugreek Leaves
- 60-120ml (1/4-1/2 Cup) Water
- Salt to Style
- Soak the tamarind dice in 60ml or 1/4 cup boiling water, mash sometimes.
- Peel the onion and reduce it in half.
- Roughly chop half of the onion and place in a blender with the garlic cloves and mix to type a clean paste.
- Take the second half of the onion and slice into 8 wedges and put aside.
- Push the tamarind by means of a nice mesh sieve it is best to find yourself with round 50-60ml or 1/4 cup of paste.
- Reduce the rooster right into a 2-3cm cube.
- Warmth the ghee over a medium-high warmth and when scorching add the asafoetida and chilli flakes and cook dinner for 30 seconds.
- Add within the onion and garlic paste, cut back the warmth to medium and cook dinner for five minutes, then onions ought to start to color and by pretty dry.
- Stir within the turmeric and cumin.
- Add the tomato paste, mango chutney and tamarind.
- Throw within the bay leaf, cardamom pods and the juice of the lime.
- Test the seasoning and add salt as required.
- Enable to simmer for quarter-hour over a low warmth.
- Warmth the remaining ghee in frying pan over a medium-high warmth.
- Add the rooster and onion wedges and cook dinner for 10 minutes stirring sometimes.
- Add the paste to the rooster and the dried fenugreek leaves.
- Pour within the water, stir to type a sauce and canopy with a lid.
- Cook dinner till the rooster is cooked by means of which can take a remaining 7-12 minutes.
IMPORTANT! In case you are utilizing tamarind from a jar or a bottle add half to 1 / 4 of the quantity and style including extra to style!
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 702Whole Fats: 37gSaturated Fats: 15gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 19gLdl cholesterol: 198mgSodium: 465mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 6gSugar: 26gProtein: 48g