This submit might include affiliate hyperlinks.
Pulao, or pilaf, is a carefully flavored rice dish standard in Pakistani and Indian cooking. This Prompt Pot Hen Pulao recipe requires simply 25 minutes of prep time and leads to tender boneless (or bone-in) hen and completely cooked rice.
“I attempted this at the moment for dinner and it turned out wonderful! This isn’t the primary of your recipes I’ve tried and as at all times, it didn’t fail.”
What’s Hen Pulao?
Pulao will not be as well-known as biryani, but it surely holds significance simply the identical. I bear in mind at any time when my mother made it, I’d stand over the range sneaking only one chew earlier than dinner, after which one other, and one other. Meat, rice, and fragrant entire spices all woven collectively so fantastically to create a powerful composition. It’s completely satisfying.
This Prompt Pot Hen Pulao is a weeknight model of the extra elaborate yakhni pulao, through which meat is slowly simmered to create a inventory (yakhni) which is used to cook dinner the rice. That’s to not say you’re lacking out on the flavors of basic pulao. The methods listed here are nonetheless the identical – deeply brown onions, seared meat, and rice perfumed with entire spices.
Tips on how to forestall soggy rice when making Prompt Pot Pulao
Not like Chana Pulao, Hen Pulao has the added water content material of hen and a tomato. This makes it extra doubtless for rice to turn into mushy.
After posting the unique recipe, I observed some folks nonetheless had mushy wealthy, which meant that my rice might have been a bit extra resilient to the additional water content material. Just lately, I tweaked the recipe and diminished the water content material, which can hopefully permit this recipe to work for everybody.
Keep in mind, IP rice ought to stay fluffy and moist, with every grain separated identical to a standard pulao. Listed below are a some tricks to forestall soggy rice:
- Use aged, long-grain basmati rice. Whereas I can’t make sure all rice will cook dinner to perfection with this methodology (you’ll have to do some trial and error), most aged, long-grain basmati rice will work splendidly on this recipe. I take advantage of Royal Chef’s Secret model.
- The recipe calls to soak the rice for quarter-hour whilst you put together the remainder of the components. If that’s not how lengthy you usually soak it, attempt soaking the rice for a shorter time frame.
- After cooking the rice, permit it to naturally launch stress as directed within the recipe. You’ll discover that it’ll get even much less moist as time goes on.
- All of the components are measured particularly to forestall soggy rice. Use a small tomato as directed within the recipe so the moisture doesn’t trigger sogginess. For those who want pulao with out a tomato, be happy to omit it.
- For those who rinse your hen, pat it dry with a paper towel earlier than including it in.
- Lastly, use a rice paddle or small plate to take away the rice promptly from the Prompt Pot and place on the serving dish.
Utilizing Bone-in or Boneless Hen for Pulao
For this recipe, I take advantage of hen thighs or hen tenders – the little strips of meat connected to the underside of the hen breast. For those who don’t have them, you can even use hen breast.
I’ve had many individuals report success with utilizing bone-in hen. So long as bone-in hen items are small, the recipe works with bone-in hen as nicely. For those who’re utilizing bigger bone-in items, first stress cook dinner the hen for six minutes earlier than including the rice. Remember to sauté bone-in hen just a little longer to make sure no additional moisture can be launched whereas cooking.
What to serve with Hen Pulao
Hen pulao is an excellent one-pot meal that’s historically paired with raita or yogurt. I like making some Shami kabab or Aloo ki Tikki as a aspect when serving pulao.
Extra recommendations on making hen pulao within the Prompt Pot:
- This recipe strikes shortly as soon as the onions have browned. Earlier than you start cooking, have all components (particularly the spices) prepped and able to go.
- As at all times with South Asian recipes, make sure to pick and discard the entire spices whilst you eat. For those who don’t need to chew into the entire spices in any respect, place them in a spice bag or cheesecloth bundle. I don’t suggest grinding them as a result of they could turn into overpowering.
- Triple wash the basmati rice to take away starches and encourage the grains to separate as soon as cooked.
Extra Prompt Pot recipes you’ll love:
For extra concepts, take a look at my Prompt Pot Pakistani Recipes Roundup!
Prompt Pot Hen Pulao
This fast and straightforward Prompt Pot Hen Pulao recipe requires simply 25 minutes of prep time and leads to tender boneless hen and completely cooked rice.
- 1 ½ cups (285 g) aged, lengthy grain basmati rice
- 2 tbsp impartial oil, akin to grapeseed or avocado
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 small (1 massive) bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp entire black peppercorns
- 1 2-inch piece cinnamon stick
- 1 small black cardamom, non-obligatory
- 5 entire cloves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3/4 inch piece ginger, crushed
- 1 lb boneless hen (I want thighs or tenders however chances are you’ll use breast), cubed into 1” items
- 1 small (50 g) tomato, finely chopped
- 1-2 inexperienced chili peppers, entire or chopped
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 ¼ tsp kosher salt, divided (or to style)
- small handful chopped cilantro and/or mint
Completely wash the rice and soak it in water for quarter-hour. Then drain and put aside. I often begin pulao preparation whereas the rice is soaking.
Choose the excessive Sauté setting on the Prompt Pot. As soon as scorching, add the oil, ghee, and thinly sliced onion. Sauté, stirring typically, till the onions are golden brown (~8-10 minutes). Deglaze the pan with a tablespoon of water. The colour of the onions will decide the colour of the rice so that you need to get them even and golden brown.
Add the entire spices, garlic, and ginger and sauté for one more minute or till the uncooked scent disappears. Add the hen and ¼ tsp of the salt and proceed to sauté for 2-3 minutes till the colour of the hen modifications. Add the tomato and inexperienced chili pepper and sauté till the tomato softens, about 2 minutes.
Add the rice, remaining salt, and water and stir to mix. Scrape the edges of the pot and gently press down the rice to make every part is submerged within the water.
Cancel the Sauté setting, safe the lid, and set the Stress Launch to Sealing. Stress-cook on excessive setting for six minutes. Let naturally launch for quarter-hour. Then manually launch any remaining stress by shifting the Stress Launch to Venting. Sprinkle the cilantro/mint on prime.
Utilizing a rice paddle or small plastic plate, gently switch the rice on to a serving platter. Serve with raita or yogurt.
*Triple wash the basmati rice to take away starches and encourage the grains to separate as soon as cooked.
Energy: 579kcal, Carbohydrates: 77g, Protein: 29g, Fats: 16g, Saturated Fats: 5g, Ldl cholesterol: 117mg, Sodium: 1423mg, Potassium: 441mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 58IU, Vitamin C: 3mg, Calcium: 59mg, Iron: 2mg